Quick-Fix Holiday Fitness
Try these five simple exercises each morning to get you through the holidays without losing all of your muscle tone or sanity!
If the holidays don’t throw you off of your normal eating and exercise routines, nothing will! With the kids out of school, holiday shopping and decorating to be done, and food — lots of food — everywhere you turn, this can be the most difficult time of the year to stay disciplined. When sugary, yummy edibles are within your grasp no matter where you go, it’s hard to say no.
Don’t beat yourself up if you indulge. Sugar is addictive, especially when you are stressed. The secret is not to overindulge and still remain active even if you can’t quite fit in your regular routine. To help keep you on track, here are five simple exercises/stretches that you can do before you even get dressed in the morning.
• Hip Bridges. Lying on your back with knees bent, drive your hips to the ceiling while squeezing your glutes. It stretches your tight quads and hip flexors, works the glutes, hamstrings and core. Do 10 to 20 reps.
• Air Squats. Squat as low as possible with heels on the floor. This exercise works the glutes, quads and core while pumping up the heart rate. Do 10 to 20 reps.
• Pushups. I know you hate ‘em, but do ‘em! They build upper body strength, work the triceps, shoulders and pecs, and they can strengthen the back. Elevate your hands to the kitchen counter if need be.
• Cat and cow stretches. I talked about this yoga pose in my last post. This pose stretches the neck, shoulders, upper back and core. These are the areas that we most hold stress, and these poses help shed some of that tension.
• Hip Drop Planks – Body parallel to the floor, on your forearms and toes, belly off the floor. Rotate hips left then right to build strength through your core.
We’re at the peak of the holiday season. Don’t let the stress get to you! Try these simple exercises at home or come join us at Body Edge Fitness in Ocean Isle Beach. Get some moral support and sweat in one of our group fitness classes. Check us out online at BodyEdgeNC.com.