Navassa Superfund Site Updates
A community meeting and two public availability sessions are scheduled for June 22 and a contractor information session is set for June 23 in Navassa.
Federal and state officials, together with Multistate Trust representatives, will hold a community meeting and two public availability sessions about the Kerr-McGee Chemical Corp. – Navassa Superfund Site on Tuesday, June 22, 2021. Meeting topics will include the Operable Unit 1 delisting, recent work and expected future work, anticipated timeline for the work, local hiring for contractors and property sale/redevelopment planning.
On Wednesday, June 23, the Multistate Trust will hold a contractor information session to discuss potential contracting needs for upcoming excavation work at the Kerr-McGee Site.
In-person events are resuming at the Navassa Community Center, with COVID-19 precautions. Virtual meeting options are available.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 4
N.C. Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ)
The Multistate Environmental Response Trust (Multistate Trust)
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
• Public Availability Session (virtual only) – 12 to 1:30 pm
• Public Availability Session (drop-in, in-person only) – 4 to 5:30 pm
The Public Availability Sessions will give community members an opportunity to talk with EPA, NCDEQ and Multistate Trust representatives about plans for the site and have questions answered.
• Community Meeting – 6 to 7:30 pm (in-person and virtual)
EPA, NCDEQ and Multistate Trust representatives will provide updates about the Site and answer questions.
For more information about the June 22 Community Meeting and Public Availability Sessions, see the flyer linked here.
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
• Contractor Information Session – 12 to 1:30 pm (in-person and virtual)
The Multistate Trust will discuss its plan to fulfill contracting needs locally for upcoming excavation-related work, where possible. Topics will include anticipated scope and timing of work, expected expertise needed, required qualifications and potential training opportunities. See the flyer linked here about the Contractor Information Session.
In-person events will be held at the Navassa Community Center, 338 Main Street, Navassa. Virtual events can be accessed online (Zoom) or by conference call (phone).
• Join through this Zoom link or
• Enter tinyurl.com/NavassaMeetings into your browser window
PHONE: Call (301) 715-8592 and enter meeting ID 946 584 8922# and passcode 664564#.
• The 1st Quarter 2021 Update Fact Sheet is linked here.
• The Multistate Trust’s new website: Navassa.GreenfieldEnvironmental.com
• The EPA website: www.epa.gov/superfund/kerr-mcgee-chemical-corp