Star fruit takes center stage in a zesty fruit salad that’s perfect for hot summer days.
Recently my spouse and I were at the grocery store in the produce section, when they held up a star fruit and said, “What is this?” I knew right then I had to use it in a unique fruit salad recipe. I bought the star fruit, and keeping with the green theme, I picked up green seedless grapes and kiwi also.
Star fruit is not the most popular fruit in America, but my mother has been using it in her recipes for as long as I can remember. I enjoy this fruit as it’s tremendously juicy, beautiful and fragrant. It’s delicious all by itself, but it’s also easily mixed with other fruits.
During these summer months we have been trying to eat healthier, and that means adding a lot of fresh green fruits and vegetables, but it does not mean our meals have to be tasteless and boring. Star fruit provides a boost of vitamin C and improves respiratory health. They have disease-fighting antioxidants that are believed to be a good source of heart-health. Kiwi, which my spouse loves, is considered a nutrient-dense food, which means its rich in nutrients and low in calories.
Showy star fruit takes the stage in this simple salad recipe, but the vinaigrette is just as impressive in flavor. I love the combined flavors of grapes and goat cheese, so I decided to create a vinaigrette that I thought would pair well with these fruits. This vinaigrette is tangy and sweet with a zesty finish.
I hesitated to share this recipe because it is so simple, but I know some of you will love and appreciate a new way to eat your fruit. Stay healthy and enjoy!
- 4 ounces goat cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups green seedless grapes halved
- 4 whole star fruit washed thoroughly and sliced
- 4 whole kiwi peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 8 pieces bib lettuce
For the Vinaigrette
For the Salad
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl and mix well with a whisk. Set aside
- Place 2 pieces of bib lettuce on a plate and layer it with the grapes, star fruit slices, kiwi slices and chopped pecans. Alternate layers and finish with overlapping layers of fruit for a beautiful presentation.
- Drizzle with goat cheese vinaigrette. Enjoy!